Prior to Arrival
- Provide transcripts to confirm current registration at your home institution & Apply online »
- Offer letter sent to student detailing the length of stay and registration procedure
- Accept offer online and submit photo for student ID card
- If the student is staying for longer than 6 months a study permit will be required. Details of this process can be found here »
- The immigration requirements who are staying less than 6 months depends on the country of origin and the student should be advised to contact the immigration office in their home country before departure for Canada
- Visit the School of Graduate Studies in Gilmour Hall 212 to present a proof of identity. International students are required to present a study permit if stay is greater than 6 months. All other students need some other proof of identity prior to issue to proof of registration, e.g. valid passport.
- Obtain student ID card from Gilmour Hall 212
- Complete online registration »
- Visit International Student Serivces (ISS) to set up UHIP coverage » ISS is located in the Student Success Centre, Gilmour Hall 110
- Make payments for UHIP and any graduate fees if applicable at Financial Services Gilmour Hall 209.
- Exchange Students
- Exchange students are registered in a graduate program in another university (normally overseas) and join us at McMaster for a period of up to one year. These students’ home university has a formal agreement with McMaster.
- A complete list of exchange agreements can be found here »
- With a formal exchange agreement the students are not required to pay any tuition or Mandatory Supplemental fees. Exchange students are required to have health insurance through the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) which is charged to the students account by the International Students’ Office.
- These students can register and take courses at no additional cost.
- Exchange students may request an official McMaster transcript that will document their time at McMaster.